Six Steps for Clear Skin - Say Goodbye to Maskne
Who would have thought that face masks would be the hottest accessory for Autumn?! Yet, here we are. If you’re diligently doing your part to slow the spread but being paid back with an onslaught of pesky breakouts - I’m here to help. I am offering up some tried and true recommendations for combating the resurgence of acne that so many of us are experiencing.
- Wear a mask made from natural (and organic if possible!) fibers. This will allow your face to steer clear of harsh chemicals and dyes while continuing to slow the spread. Make sure you are washing your mask between EACH use. Yes, every day. I know, I know, it’s super annoying - but your face will thank you. Skin cells, dirt, and grime build up on your mask throughout the day and can provide the perfect conditions for breakouts to thrive.
- Cleanse. Make cleansing a habit every morning and evening with a gentle yet effective cleanser. Even if you aren’t wearing makeup under your mask, the lack of circulation and airflow can cause clogged pores resulting in acne. Over cleansing or the use of harsh cleansers can further irritate skin and trigger more breakouts. I recommend the Onyx Cleansing bar or Willow Cleanser to deep clean without stripping your skin of necessary moisture. Both contain activated charcoal to draw out impurities, ingredients to soothe irritated skin, and plant fats to replenish moisture in your skin. For a deep clean once a week try the Charcoal Burdock Mask to gently draw out dirt and toxins while combating bacteria and inflammation.
- Exfoliate. Keep your face clear from the accumulation of dead skin cells that may clog pores and lead to breakouts by taking a moment each week to exfoliate. Earth Polish is an herbal infused micro exfoliant that soothes and sloughs away dead skin while being gentle enough for the most sensitive skin. The Cactus Face Polish is another gentle option for skin that’s breaking out - it removes dead skin cells and increases blood flow, encouraging the growth of new cells.
- Tone to lightly hydrate your skin and help your moisturizer work harder for you. After searching high and low for a go-to toner for folks struggling with breakouts, I hit the jackpot with the Silver Rain Mystical Toner. Antibacterial colloidal silver, yarrow and thyme calm irritated, blemish prone skin to promote a healthy, clear complexion. Herbaceous notes of clary sage and silver fir essential oils leave you feeling uplifted and grounded. And yes, it really is as magical as it sounds.
- Moisturize. It can be tempting when we’re breaking out to skip a moisturizer, however, failing to moisturize may cause your skin to overcompensate and trigger the production of excess oil. The Green Tea serum helps reduce redness, minimize acne, regulate oil, and repair damaged skin. It combines five powerful medicinal herbs into this healing powerhouse that is suitable for all skin types, especially oily and acne-prone.
- Sanitize your hands. It’s likely that you have been washing your hands more than ever before, but remember to keep an effective hand sanitizer close for those in between times. Keeping your hands off of your face as best as you can while you’re out and and using hand sanitizer to minimize bacterial and viral spread will also help you minimize pore congestion.