Are you experiencing an uptick in restlessness and anxiety? Feeling extra scattered perhaps?
As we move into Vata season (typically October through January), we feel a shift in nature as well as in our bodies. The air is cool and dry while unpredictable winds mirror the erratic energy we feel within us.
If you can relate to any of the following in the past week, you'll want to keep on reading friend.
- You’ve been late to work because you forgot your phone at home then had to return home AGAIN to make sure you closed the garage.. and you then ended up leaving your phone in your car anyway.
- You have had eight windows open on your computer screen split between eight different projects, but you can’t commit to working on any one project for more than five minutes.
- In an effort to tackle the incredible amount of tasks on your plate, you made a to-do list. Then you lost the list.
- You have walked back and forth across your home or workplace to complete a task, but it takes a few trips (or a few hours) to remember what exactly that task was.
- You made a plan to start a new hobby, wellness routine, rekindle friendships, and learn a new skill.. then imploded from the onset of anxiety triggered by the thought of it all.
If any of this sounds familiar and you are experiencing an uptick in restlessness, anxiety, and scattered behavior; you may be experiencing what’s known in Ayurveda as a Vata imbalance.
Ayurveda divides the year into three seasons. Each season is comprised of its own abundance of unique qualities which can cause imbalances within our mind and body when in excess.
The good news is that Ayurveda also provides us with seasonal practices that help balance the effects of the changing seasons on our bodies. Ayurveda shows us that making small adjustments to our food and daily routines enables us to harmonize our bodies with nature's ebbs and flows to prevent illness and imbalance.
Try these remedies for balancing Vata:
- Slow down, and stop multitasking friend. Reign in your energy, and focus on one task at a time.
- Get cozy. Wear layers; dig your favorite slippers out of the closet; and embrace warm and soothing herbal drinks like Golden Milk. Your body and mind will thank you.
- Let aromatherapy soothe and ground you. A combination of warm and sweet essential oils like Patchouli, Lavender, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang, and Vetiver can provide relief. Try the Hermitage Blend of incense or Vata Aromatherapy Spray to help you connect with grounding energy.
- Establish routines. Simple things like eating at the same time each day and going to sleep/waking up at the same time each day can be a game changer.
- Show your digestive tract some love. Drink warm water first thing in the morning. Think about introducing probiotics and bitters into your daily routine. Make lunch your main meal of the day, and keep your dinner light at least two hours before bed.
- Ground. If you practice yoga, focus on grounding poses and slowing down your practice. Practicing Mountain, Child’s, and Garland poses while focusing your breath and attention downward is a perfect way to focus your energy.
- Try Ear Oil. Discover the vata pacifying benefits of oiling your ears! This ancient Ayurvedic practice, known as karna purana, provides nourishment and protection to the ears, maintaining optimal auditory health, a relaxed jaw, and a grounded demeanor.
- Breathe. Just 2-15 minutes of pranayama each morning can help clear the mind and calm Vata. Alternate nostril breathing is especially helpful. If you need help with this, the yoga teacher in me would love to help.
Questions? Comment below!
Most importantly, give yourself some extra love this season. You deserve it!
Hi, I'm Sara!
If you are new around these parts, let me first say welcome! I am so happy you are here. Secondly, you may be wondering who exactly is Terra Shepherd. Terra Shepherd is actually not a person - it is a business name, a place, a way of thinking, and a community.
It is my goal to connect you with your clothing on a deeper level than you likely ever have by telling the stories of the makers, fabrics, production practices, and brands I have selected to carry in the store. I hope to help you realize the incredible value of investing in garments you truly love and are excited to cherish for years to come.
This space is intended to be one in which we learn and grow together. I welcome and encourage your feedback - it will serve as my guide with this journal.
Welcome to Terra Shepherd friends.