Sluggish.. heavy.. dull.. anyone else feeling this heavy energy?
If you have found it a little more difficult to jump out of bed in the morning or fatigue plagues you throughout your day, you are not alone friend. In fact, there may be a very simple explanation.
Ayurveda divides the year into three seasons with each being a combination of two of the following elements: earth, water, fire, air, and ether. These elements exist in varying amounts all around us and within us at all times. Certain elements are more prevalent in our external environment during specific times of year.
The latter part of winter through spring brings us Kapha season whose primary qualities are water and earth. As we find ourselves in Kapha season, we see its qualities of dampness, heaviness, and dullness all around us. When in excess, these qualities can influence our minds and bodies manifesting as fatigue, sluggish digestion, and a weakened immune system.
Thankfully, Ayurveda also provides us with seasonal routines that help balance the effects of the changing seasons on our bodies. Making the smallest adjustments in our daily lives can enable us to harmonize our bodies with nature’s ebbs and flows to prevent illness and imbalance.
Here are 8 tips to help you balance excess Kapha:
- Rise early. Challenge yourself to rise before 7 a.m. to beat the Kapha time of day. Like increases like, so the Kapha levels in our bodies increase when we sleep into the Kapha time of morning.
- Utilize aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is a powerful tool that can be used to activate your mind and uplift your mood throughout your day. Try this proprietary essential oil blend of bergamot, grapefruit, sage, and juniper berry to give you a boost at any time in your day. Or you can experiment with your own blend of citrus essential oils to uplift you!
- Opt for lighter foods. The rich and heavy foods that we needed to ground us during Vata season become too much at this point of the year - remember like increases like! Choose things like brothy, nutrient-dense soups rather than cream based soups. This is also the perfect time of year to integrate warming spices like cinnamon, mustard seed, and chili into your everyday life.
- Experience the healing power of herbal tea. Try this Rooibos Chai Tea blend, and enjoy the warming spices of cinnamon and ginger at home or on the go! This caffeine-free herbal tea will provide you the perfect midday pick me up AND keep you alert, motivated, and cheerful throughout your busy day.
- Move your body! Beginning your day with movement that warms your body is the perfect way to start your day in Kapha season. This could be a yoga flow, bundled up power walk, or you could hit the gym if it suits you. Don't overcomplicate it, just invite some movement into your day.
- Try a neti pot. Many of us are familiar with the use of neti to relieve congestion and clear harmful pathogens from our airways. What you may not know is that this ancient Ayurvedic practice is also a wonderful way to shake off the winter blues by improving focus and energizing the mind! Used daily, this is a game changer friends.
- Apply nose oil. I know it sounds weird, but trust me on this. Also known as nasya in Ayurveda, nose oil is an excellent way to stimulate cognitive function while keeping the nasal passageways moisturized and protected from pathogens during cold and flu season. If you are prone to congestion and/or sinus pressure, this herb-infused nose oil also helps to ease inflammation and keeps you breathing easy.
- Invite a little spontaneity into life! This is an ideal time to change things up. Trying something new helps you combat the sluggishness that can plague us in Kapha season. Explore a new hobby; move your body in a new way; or just challenge yourself to get outside of your comfort zone!
Warmer months are quickly approaching, I promise friends! I hope these tips help you break out of the monotony that is Kapha season. I am always amazed at what a difference the smallest changes can make.
Hi, I'm Sara!
If you are new around these parts, let me first say welcome! I am so happy you are here. Secondly, you may be wondering who exactly is Terra Shepherd. Terra Shepherd is actually not a person - it is a business name, a place, a way of thinking, and a community.
It is my goal to connect you with your clothing on a deeper level than you likely ever have by telling the stories of the makers, fabrics, production practices, and brands I have selected to carry in the store. I hope to help you realize the incredible value of investing in garments you truly love and are excited to cherish for years to come.
This space is intended to be one in which we learn and grow together. I welcome and encourage your feedback - it will serve as my guide with this journal.
Welcome to Terra Shepherd friends.