It's all too easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle of life. Don't get me wrong -I love being busy, but too much "go, go, go" takes us out of the moment and makes life a blur. It's important to make time for stillness to keep our bodies and minds healthy while allowing space for memories to be made and the magic in life to reveal itself.
Friends, here are 10 ideas to help you ease stress, find some inner peace, and be in the moment.
1. Sip a warm beverage. A warm beverage can feel a lot like a warm hug - comforting and soothing. It may also provide additional benefits in terms of herbal support. Ayurvedic golden milk, for example, contains Ashwagandha & Shatavari to rejuvenate the body and ease its response to daily stress while supporting the immune system. If possible friends, please steer clear of caffeinated beverages as they can disrupt sleep and induce/elevate anxiety.
This decaffeinated Peaceful Spirit tea is a beautiful option that won’t bring on added stress if golden milk isn’t your cup of tea.
2. Embrace routine. Routines provide a sense of stability and normalcy in times of unrest thus reducing stress. Routines also help us prioritize self care practices including movement and preparation of nourishing meals. Start by going to bed and waking at the same time each day and go from there.
3. Inhale the magic of aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is a powerful tool to ease stress. Choose earthy oils like vetiver, patchouli, and lavender to calm and ground. Bright oils like bergamot, spearmint, and grapefruit will uplift your mood. This locally made Focus Spray balances nerves, grounds energy, focuses the mind, and creates security.
4. Get outside. Spending time outside has been shown to lower stress, blood pressure, and heart rate while encouraging physical activity and improving mood. Take a walk around the block, or simply stand on your front step to feel a little sunshine on your face. You’ll be so happy you did.
5. Find movement. Movement of any sort helps clear the mind and ease tension in the body. Don't overthink it, just go for it. Yoga, a short walk, or yard work all count.
6. Remember to laugh. It’s said that laughter is the best medicine. Laughter connects people emotionally and eases tension. It can feel strange to laugh in times of turmoil, but that is when we need it the most. Share a silly GIF, or text a funny photo to a friend encouraging them to do the same - you’re likely to set off a chain reaction of much needed silliness.
7. Embrace herbal support. Nervines and adaptogens help both the body and mind remain resilient during stressful times. Common nervines include: skullcap, chamomile, lavender, and lemon balm. Common adaptogens include: holy basil, cordyceps, reishi, and schisandra berries.
Two of my favorite tinctures are Rose Colored Glasses and Simmer Down. Rose Colored Glasses is a beautiful blend of herbs that is delicious to take on its own for daily mood support. I love Simmer Down in hot tea or bubbly water to help slow racing thoughts and clear mind clutter any time of day, but especially in the evening.
8. Write a love letter. Send some love to a dear friend or family member near or far. Email, text, or snail mail - it doesn’t matter! Just let someone know you’re thinking about them. I promise you’ll both feel the warm fuzzies.
9. Get lost in music. Turn off the TV and plug in to some good tunes. Music has the power to uplift, energize, comfort, and motivate. It's the perfect companion for times of unease. What are you listening to right now?
10. Unplug. We take in information and opinions 24/7. It’s important to be informed, but consider limiting your intake of news and social media in stressful times to save your sanity and health in turn. Read a book, call a friend, or get outside - anything to give yourself some distance from the flow of information that constantly bombards us.
Above all else, please remember that you are not alone in this thing called life. Asking for help is a sign of amazing strength my friend. Take care of yourself, and love hard today and always.
Hi, I'm Sara!
If you are new around these parts, let me first say welcome! I am so happy you are here. Secondly, you may be wondering who exactly is Terra Shepherd. Terra Shepherd is actually not a person - it is a business name, a place, a way of thinking, and a community.
It is my goal to connect you with your clothing on a deeper level than you likely ever have by telling the stories of the makers, fabrics, production practices, and brands I have selected to carry in the store. I hope to help you realize the incredible value of investing in garments you truly love and are excited to cherish for years to come.
This space is intended to be one in which we learn and grow together. I welcome and encourage your feedback - it will serve as my guide with this journal.
Welcome to Terra Shepherd friends.